xili-language is now compatible with WP 3.2. (available here)
source reviewed, folder reviewed, ready for lang permalinks option, new admin bar menu…
WP 3.2 was shipped (July 4th) – version 2.2.0 will be the current version with some new features.
Contributors: michelwppi, MS dev.xiligroup.com
Donate link: http://dev.xiligroup.com/
Tags: theme, post, plugin, posts, page, category, admin, multilingual, bilingual, taxonomy, dictionary, .mo file, .po file, localization, widget, language, international, i18n, l10n, WP network, multisite, blogroll, japanese, khmer, rtl, translation-ready, bbpress, jetpack, polylang
Requires at least: 4.3.5
Tested up to: 4.5.3
Stable tag: 2.21.2
License: GPLv2 xili-language lets you create and manage multilingual WP site in several languages with yours or most famous localizable themes. Ready for CMS design.
xili-language provides for a bilingual (or multilingual) website an automatic selection of language (.mo) in theme according to the language of current post(s) or page. Theme's behaviour can be fully personalized through settings, hooks and api. Ready for CMS developers and designers.
xili-language plugin provides an automatic selection of language in theme according to the language of displayed post, series of posts, page or articles. If the post is in gaelic, the texts of the theme will be in gaelic if the author checks the post as gaelic and if the theme contains the right .mo file for this target language.
A very readable interface with a list of titles (and links) to help you write/edit/modify articles and their translations.
To help authoring, current user can choose language of his dashboard.
xili-language select on the fly the multilingual .mo files present in the theme's folder (no cookies, no redirections like "301").
xili-language uses a custom taxonomy to specify language of post, page and custom post. Full compatible with WP JSON REST API
xili-language plugin works on Wordpress installation in mono (standalone) or on one site belonging to a multisite (network) install.
- As educational plateform in constant changing since 2009, xili-language trilogy tries to use most of the WordPress Core functions and features (Custom taxonomy, API, metabox, pointer, help, pomo libraries, ...). The options are adjustable.
- Last Updated 2016-07-28
- W A R N I N G - see tab and chapters in changelog
For bbPress users, xili xl-bbp-addon plugin is no more a plugin. Components are optionally (if bbPress active) included. An option is also added in Experts tab of settings.
- A project of a website with articles in different languages.
- A localizable theme : Every themes with localization (or translation-ready like twentyfourteen) can be easily used (and improved) for realtime multilingual sites.
- A tool to translate .po files of the theme and built .mo files (poEdit or better xili-dictionary - see below ).
- see this page in wiki.xiligroup.org.
What to prepare before and during installation before activating
- verify that your theme is translation-ready. Collect .po files of theme for target languages.
- if rtl languages are used, verify that theme contains rtl.css file.
Links and documentation to read before activating
- Check out the screenshots to see it in action and other tabs here.
- latest news inside twentyfourteen-xili example,
- latest bundled child theme of twentyfifteen: twentyfifteen-xili example,
- xili wiki,
- news and history,
- forum to read experience of users and obtain some support,
- For webmaster: Before to be moved in wiki, table summarizes all the technical features (widgets, template tags, functions and hooks) of this powerful plugin for personalized CMS created by webmaster,
and finally the source code of the plugin itself if you read php!
Themes provided as examples
- Since WordPress 4.1, the default theme named twentyfifteen can be used without php coding for a multilingual site as shown here twentyfifteen-xili.
- Other child theme examples of bundled parent themes: twentyeleven twentyeleven-xili, twentytwelve twentytwelve-xili, twentythirteen twentythirteen-xili, twentyfourteen twentyfourteen-xili, twentyfifteen twentyfifteen-xili.
Other compatible plugins by xiligroup dev
TRILOGY FOR MULTILINGUAL CMS WEBSITE including xili-language plugin
Please verify that you have installed the latest versions of:
- xili-dictionary plugin: With xili-dictionary, it is easier to create or update online, via admin/dashboard UI, the files .mo of each language.
- xili-tidy-tags plugin: With xili-tidy-tags, it is now possible to display sub-selection (cloud) of tags according language and semantic trans-language group (trademark,…).
That this plugin does not
With around 8000 php lines, xili-language is not everything…
xili-language plugin does not create additional tables in the database, do not create cookies and only use 4 lines in Options table. xili-language simply makes proper use of the taxonomy tables and postmeta table offered by WordPress to define language and link items between them. Because xili-language plugin does not modify deeply the post edit UI, it is possible to use iPhone / iPod Touch Wordpress app to prepare and draft the post.
xili-language plugin does not replace the author or the editor. No automatic translation. Content strategist is the master of the languages, the contents and the navigation inside the website. With xili-dictionary, webmaster can translate the theme's items and when .mo files are in place, xili-dictionary can be deactivated. For design, the creator is free to choose text or graphic. xili-language does not provide flags (or few as example in child-theme example like twentytwelve-xili )!
Newbie, WP user, Developer,…
Dear Newbie: originally built for webmaster and developer, the plugin trilogy progress since 6 years to be more and more plug and play for newbies who can read and spend a little time mainly for translation.
xili-language is also dedicated for theme's creator or webmaster with knowledges in CMS and WP and having (or not) tools to create .mo language files. Through API (hook), the plugin add automatic tools (or links or filters) for sidebar or top menus. Categories or Archives lists are translated also.
- xili-language provides also series of functions which can be hooked in the functions.php file of the theme that you create i.e. for a cms like multilingual website.
Licence, donation, services, "as is", ...
Contrary to popular belief, GPL doesn't say that everything must be zero-cost, just that when you receive the software (plugin or theme) that it not restrict your freedoms in how you use it. Free open source plugin does not mean free services
- Texts of licence: GPLv2
- Donation link via paypal in sidebar of dev.xiligroup site
- Services : As authors of plugin, dev.xiligroup team is able to provide services (consulting, training, support) with affordable prices for WP multilingual contexts in corporate or commercial websites.
- Plugin is shipped as is : see no warranty chapter in license GPLv2.
- Improved documentation for getting starts, template tags and functions - here in news or here by Vladimir.
- Delivery of a premium services kit (with powerful features and attractive fees) packaged with professional training and support.
- Updating sources (parts are 6 years old) with new libraries provided since WP 4.2.
- Contributions are welcome ;-)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is menus insertion point in navigation menus ?
It is the most recent way to add multilingual menus at a location in a theme. This method uses insertion point that will live choose the menu structure according current targeted language.
XL version > 2.9.10 : In appareance/menus, I do not see the boxes of insertion point (languages list, sub-selection pages or sub-selection menus) ?
To show insertion point metaboxes, remember to check them inside Screen Options. (top right tab near Help tab)
What about WP Network (previous WPMU) and the trilogy ?
xili-language, xili-tidy-tags, xili-dictionary Since WP 3.0-alpha, if multisite is activated, the trilogy is now compatible and will include progressively some improvements dedicaded especially for WP Network context. Future specific docs will be available for registered webmasters.
How to see post or page ID in dashbord ?
IDs of all types of post (post, page, CPT) are listed in Translation box (second column) under the content.
What about rtl languages ?
If your theme follow the WP core rules (like in Twenty Twelve) with rtl.css file, RTL languages are well displayed.
Where can I see websites using this plugin ?
Twenty Fifteen 2015
Twenty Fourteen 2014
Twenty Thirteen 2013
Twenty Twelve 2012
Twenty Eleven 2011
Twenty Ten 2010
dev.xiligroup.com here and examples child theme below:
And as you can see in stats, thousand of sites use xili-language (Stats in March 2015 are not good and must be fixed due to bad versioning sorting).
For commercial websites, is it possible to buy support ?
Yes, use contact form here. Multiple commercial theme were customized for clients using multilingual CMS.
What is gold functions ?, is it possible to buy them ?
Support Forum or contact form ?
Effectively, prefer forum to obtain some support.
Does xiligroup provide free themes ?
Yes, example child themes of official themes like Twenty Twelve or Twenty Thirteen - see list above in previous question.
Is poEdit mandatory to edit .po and to build .mo file ?
xili-dictionary avoids to use poEdit to update .mo files with contents of terms of your database (categories, ...)
What about plugin admin settings UI localization ?
It is simple, if you have translated the settings UI of plugin in your mother language, you send us a message through the contact form that contains the link to your site where you have add the .po and .mo files. Don't forget to fill the header of the .po file with your name and email. If all is ok, the files will be added to the xili-language WP plugins repository. Because I am not able to verify the content, you remain responsible of your translation.
What about bookmarks and sub-selection according current language of displayed loop ?
Since version 1.8.5, xili-language has inside his class filters and actions to permit displaying sub-selection of links and bookmarks.
- case of default widget-links : in xili-language settings, only check link categories where sub-selection is wanted.
- case of template tags :
<?php wp_list_bookmarks( array( 'lang'=>the_curlang() ) ; ?>here this new arg named lang is set to the current language.
Visit links list editor settings page and set for each link the language.
What happens if frontpage is a page ?
The page as frontpage must have its clones in each other languages. Like for posts, if the user's browser is not in the default language, xili-language will display the page in the corresponding language if set by the editor. home page of website dev.xiligroup.com uses this feature.
How to enlarge languages list of the dashboard ?
Since version 2.8, the current user (author) can choose language of his dashboard. To enlarge list of available languages, you must upload the xx_YY.mo files of other localized WP installs in the folder wp-content/languages/. For example, here a list for a trilingual website (english, french, german : fr_FR.mo, de_DE.mo. See this codex page about WP in your language to find kit containing wanted files.
Since 2.8.8, xili-language is able to help you to download admin translation files from Automattic and GlotPress site. See the 4th tab in settings. For official embedded themes ( Twentyten and others), the .mo files can also be downloaded.
Please read the readme.txt before upgrading. As usually, don't forget to backup the database before major upgrade or testing no-current version. Upgrading can be easily procedeed through WP admin UI or through ftp (delete previous release folder before upgrading via ftp). Verify you install latest version of trilogy (xili-language, xili-tidy-tags, xili-dictionary). v2.1.0 is compatible with settings of previous release BUT introduces now a way to choose multiple navmenu locations - so revisit the settings page to confirm your previous choice or sets to new navigation way including singular links.
1. Technical infos
Verify that your theme is international (translation ready) compatible (translatable terms like
_e('the term','mythemedomaine')and no displayed texts 'hardcoded' (example in default bundled themes of WP named twentyfourteen or twentyfifteen ).
- This latest version works with WP 4.0+ in mono or multisite.
- CMS = Content Management System
- Contains features dedicated to multilingual theme's creators and webmasters. Don't forget to read documented source code.
1.3. Documentation for developers
A table summarizes all the technical features (widgets, template tags, functions and hooks) of this powerful plugin for personalized CMS created by webmaster.
- Provides infos about text direction ltr ou rtl of languages (arabic, hebraic,...) of theme and of each post in loop
- unique id for category link hook see expert's corner posts
- hooks to define header metas or language attributes in html tag.
1.4. More infos and docs
Default flags provided in bundled child themes like TwentyFourteen-xili 2014 came from famfamfam. To be compliant to the design and look, choose your own series of flags. Be aware of size and file naming.
xili-language is compatible with the plugin xili-dictionary which is able to deliver .mo files on the fly through the WP admin UI (and .po files translatable by other translators). xili-dictionary used a specific taxonomy without adding tables in WP database.
xili-language is compatible with the plugin xili-tidy-tags. xili-tidy-tags lets you create multiple group of tags. That way, you can have a tag cloud for tags in English, another cloud for French tags, another for Spanish ones, and so on. You can also use the plugin for more than multilingual blogs. Basically, you can create any group of tags you want.
2008-2016 - MS - dev.xiligroup.com